What Are the Signs of Autism?
Some early signs of autism include the below symptoms. This list does not mean your child does or does not have autism, however, if you suspect a loved one may have ASD, we suggest contacting your pediatrician or family doctor for an evaluation.
- No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions by six months or thereafter
- No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles or other facial expressions by nine months
- No babbling by 12 months
- No back-and-forth gestures such as pointing, showing, reaching or waving by 12 months
- No words by 16 months
- No meaningful, two-word phrases (not including imitating or repeating) by 24 months
- Any loss of speech, babbling or social skills at any age
If you are interested in taking a screening test for your child, please visit http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/diagnosis/mchat